An eagle sketch can be approached in different ways. A simple but quick way for on the spot sketching or a more considered approach where you might either redraw a sketch you did from life or sketch from a photograph. When drawing pencil sketches pick whatever drawing tool and surface you are comfortable with. Simple typing paper will do and a 2B pencil is a great all rounder because it can make a nice variety of tones.
1. Start with a dome for the head. We are skewing this to the left as the bird is looking down slightly. You will notice a smaller second dome shape for the beak. I have a detailed breakdown on
how to draw an eagle head
you may want to take a look at.
2. Two dashed lines for the back and begin to sketch in the breast.
3. A curved line for the stomach area.
4. The wing which is another curved line.
5. This is the leg. Simply two lines showing the leg is broader at the top.
6. The second leg.
7. The lower legs.
8. Here I use three curved lines to indicate the three toes on each foot. The lines are approximately at the centre of each toe.
9. A line to show the bird is standing on something rather than looking like it is floating on air.
10. Sketch in the head and beak.
11. Draw in some feathers which are only little lines and dashes. Draw the leg in more detail.
12. Now the feet including the talons.
13. Define the leg more if necessary.
14. Do the same for the second leg.
15. Define the head and sketch in the lower part of the beak.
16. Define the back. the line is uneven giving the impression of feathers.
17. Finally add lines to indicate feathers.
Now you should have a simple eagle sketch.
here for others to see and appreciate.
Return from eagle sketch to Drawing Animals.