These gargoyle drawings are a step by step guide. A free drawing lesson that you might find useful if you are interested in gothic drawing, specifically gothic pencil drawings.
1. Start off by breaking the figure down using circles and ovals etc. Keep your strokes light.
2. Mark the ears as shown.
3. The face is like a nightmarish lion. I sketch the eyes. The nose and mouth are lionlike. A split lip and wide shallow nose.
4. I draw the arched eyebrows. I draw the eyeballs and pupil.
5. I draw the rest of the face. The mouth is large with two fangs. The ears are not cat like but large and drooping.
6. I add tone to the neck, shading the lower part of it. I use strokes to do this rather than shading with the side of the pencil.
7. I work on the shoulder and begin to add tone to the wing.
8. I draw individual feather like structures but they are blocky rather than birdlike.
9. I finish the wing for now.
10. I use the ovals to draw the leg and basic foot which is spread out.
11. I define it more and work on the foot which is four-toed.
12. I draw the front leg and indicate that the gargoyle is clinging to some structure although I'm not going to draw anymore of this.
13. I go over the drawing defining the line and tone, making it look more solid.
I'm not a fantasy or horror artist but I am interested in viewing this kind of art and as a boy and student I spent hours drawing monsters and comics. In fact I would say that comics was the main infuence that got me drawing. I went from the Beano and Dandy and the like to 2000AD and American comics. Even now if I find an interesting graphic novel I will buy it for the art at the very least. Anything that stimulates people into drawing is fine by me. If you like fantasy drawing have a look at this site
Storm the Castle.
gargoyle drawings to Free Drawing Lessons