Fairy Drawings in Pencil.
The following fairy drawings were the first stages for an illustration. You can learn how to draw a fairy by follwing the process.
As we often tend to draw fairies like humans we need to be able to draw the human figure to some degree.
Drawing a fairy need not be too complicated and a lot of us use a mannikin to help us with the positioning and proportions of the human body.
1. I start with a oval for the face and divide it to give me the centre of the face and angle the fairy is looking. I draw an eye line in so I can place the eyes correctly.
2. I draw another oval to give me the side of the head. I sketch where the eyes, nose and ear will be.
3. I sketch the shoulders and torso.
4. The legs are two tubes beneath a rectangle where the figure's hips should be.
5. I sketch in the arms and feet.
6. The breakdown is complete with the addition of wings. I am basing them on butterfly wings.
7. Now I draw in the face. It has a semi cartoon look.
8. A close up will help if you are copying the drawing. The features are childlike.
9. The hair is piled up on the head.
10. Another close up.
11. I sketch the shoulders and neck muscles.
12. Now the arms. This is where some knowledge of human anatomy will help. Life classes are always a great idea for anyone who wants to depict the human body but if this isn't something you want to do buy a good book on the subject. There are dozens of very good books available.
13. Now I draw in the character's dress.
14. Take your time getting the bottom of the dress right. It folds in a particular way as the fairy moves forward.
15. I carefully draw the feet. Again this takes some practice even for a relatively simple drawing like this.
16. I sketch in the upper wings using lines and dashes.
17. The lower wings.
18. The image traced. Tracing your sketch will help to refine it.
19. This is the next stage after adding colour.
This is the work in progress. I have turned simple fairy drawings into a more complex illustration. Everything starts with the sketch.
Fantasy Drawings from fairy drawings