Cross Drawing Free Tutorial.
This cross drawing tutorial is for the intermediate artist. Theree are many types of crosses and therefore cross drawings but this is not an article on the meanings or symbols it's purely about drawing and sketching an interesting looking cross.
I bear in mind that this is an old weathered cross so my linework should reflect this. I also worked freehand although you don't have to.
1. I start by choosing a pleasing angle. I'm not interested in a straight on viewpoint. I sketch an irregular circle.
2. I sketch the main upright part of the cross and show how thick the cross is by drawing the side of it. I sketch the horizontal part trying to get the correct angle. It's important to get this right and there is nothing wrong with using a ruler if you need to.
3. I mark where I think the centre line of the cross is at the very top so I can start to draw the shape of the extremities of the cross. It looks like three pointed arches.
4. I join this to my guidelines.
5. I do this for the rest of it.
6. Now I add the sides of the features to give a three dimensional effect.
7. I use the circle to draw in the round features of the cross.
8. I finish defining the vertical shaft.
9. Now I am going to add details within the subject.
10. I draw the inlaid effect
12. I add more details and then I feel I have enough information to develop the image further.
I went on to draw this.
If you want to read an article about the types of crosses and something of their history see this
You'll also find some nice drawing lessons on a variety of subjects including drawings of crosses.
Free Drawing Lessons from cross drawings.